Give Your Time
Nothing is more satisfying than actively participating in the spiritual life of the church. All that we do is aimed toward serving God and His children and preserving His creation. Whatever your talents, interests or passions, we invite you to find your place in the work we do. To find out how YOU can get involved, just drop by the church office or call us at (828) 884-3666 to get the scoop. Even better, try attending one of our newcomers’ events!
Volunteers can be found everywhere at St. Philip’s. Come on Monday mornings and you will see an active Building and Grounds committee painting, fixing, digging, moving, and planting. Enter the office and be cheerfully greeted by a volunteer who helps facilitate a myriad of duties related to communication, organization, and daily activities. Attend a social event and experience warm hospitality and delicious refreshments.
LITURGY & MUSIC
Youth and adults play an active and integral part in our worship service. Some serve as greeters to those attending, some are ushers, some bake Communion bread, and some serve on the altar guild to set the communion table, polish brass or launder linens. Many participate as worship leaders, serving as acolytes, chalice bearers, lay readers, or lectors. Parishioners who love to sing participate in one of our choirs
Click HERE to get the details on what's involved.
MEMBER CARE MINISTRIES
The goal of St. Philip’s Member Care ministries is for all members to feel connected, supported and valued. In addition to routine and emergency clergy visits, Member Care includes several additional ministries:
- EUCHARISTIC VISITORS take communion to people unable to attend worship.
- FRIENDLY HELPERS assist members with transportation and simple chores.
- FRIENDLY VISITORS make social visits to people who are unable to get out easily.
- PARISH BIRTHDAY CARDS are sent to members of the church.
- PARISH NEIGHBORS take a limited number of meals to members in crisis.
- PRAYER CHAIN circulates prayer requests among its members who pray over the requests.
- PRAYER SHAWL/SEAMAN'S CHURCH INSTITUTE makes prayer shawls for members, and knitted items for mariners.
- PRISON MINISTRY provides personal support and encouragement to incarcerated members and their families.
- VETERANS MINISTRY provides visits to veterans who have particular needs.
- SUNDAY HEALING MINISTRY provides anointing and prayer offered during the Eucharist at all services every Sunday. Requests and prayers are held in strict confidence. Every day, God calls us to heal the hurts of our world – in our attitudes, our actions and our prayer lives. There are over 35 accounts of Jesus' healing ministry in the Gospels. After each incident, Christ tells the disciples to "Go and do likewise." We also are sent out. Healing prayer is so simple. We come together, join hands and pray for God to touch our lives. We are not responsible for how God acts, but God always shows up! The SUNDAY HEALING MINISTRY needs a few more people willing to pray on behalf of others. Won't you join us? Please contact Susan Andresen for more information.
Click HERE to see a list of our ministry opportunities.
Click HERE for a form to receive more information about ministry opportunities.